Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous


Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: March 5, 1971
Rating: 3/5
Synopsis:
"It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth - and ultimately her life."
So, to start off I want to say that this was an amazing book and I think that everyone should read it, but I just want to tell you why I gave it the rating I did. The very first page it tells you that this was from an actual person who wrote all this in her diary and that none of it was real. But, this was not from a actual diary but more of an actual writer. So that kind of put me back a little because it just seemed like this whole book was a lie. But anyways, lets get on with the review!
There was no mention of who the protagonist was so I can't tell you that, but the "main" character had a lot of problems and she nothing ever went her way. Her family had to move because her dad got a new job, and she didn't really fit in at her new school. (i can relate to how she felt in that part of the book, because I moved a lot and it is hard trying to find a group that you can relate to) One weekend she goes up to her grandparents house and she gets invited to a party. That was when she first started to do drugs.
This book is a real eye opener because the things that are discussed are things that real life people go through on a day to day basis and it makes you think about things in a whole new way.
After she gets hooked on drugs, she goes through stages when she is doing drugs or when she isn't doing drugs. It's just like a really bad roller coaster. She runs away from home with on of her friends and they try to make it through life doing what they want to do. But it doesn't work out and they end up missing their family so they go back. I liked how throughout the book the characters weren't obnoxious and only cared about themselves and they cared about other people and that influenced their thoughts a lot.
In the end, things seem to be going well but the last page is a real tear breaker. I did not see it coming, I thought that it might've happened but from the way she was going I didn't think that it would happen. I guess if you want to figure out what happend you'll have to read it.
I think this is a book that everyone should at least read once in their lives, because I think that it is something you will remember forever and ever! It is in a diary form so it goes by really fast also!
**the actual author is Beatrice Sparks**

No comments:

Post a Comment